The History of
Guild Elementary School
In October 1953, the Sumner County Finance Committee approved the purchase of land from Mr. R.J. Long, the cost not to exceed $3,100. This agreement coincided with the understanding that Mr. Long would donate another five acres to the school system. The land being sold was originally owned by Judge Guild.
In 1955, the County Court requested that the Sumner School Board of Education name the school, when completed, Guild, in honor of Esq. L.C. Guild.
In 1956, Guild School was completed, opening its doors to children in grades 3 through 8. Mr. V.G. Hawkins, former superintendent of schools, was named principal. The school consisted of twenty classrooms, a library, cafeteria, and gymnasium as well as administrative offices.
During the late 1950s and early 1960s, Guild maintained highly competitive athletic teams in basketball and football under the direction of Ms. Miller and Mr. Wells. The school mascot was the Blue Raiders. In 1963, when Gallatin Junior High School opened, Guild became a grade 5 and 6 school and changed its mascot to the Gators. Over time, Guild was a school for children in grades 3-6, K-6, K-3, K-4, and the current K-5. In the 1986-87 school year, Guild had double sessions of Kindergarten (a.m. and p.m.) due to overcrowding.
In 1994, eleven classrooms, a new library, and new administrative offices were added to the school building to accomodate growth. In 2002, a wing consisted of five classrooms and more bathrooms were added in order to accommodate further growth. Currently, Guild's enrollment is appoximately 700 students and 41 classrooms. Twelve additional classrooms will be added by August 2017, once construction is complete. Further, we will also have a new cafeteria and new gym flooring as well as a new back driveway configuration.
The principals of Guild Elementary:
1956-1966: V.G. Hawkins
1966-1971: Betram Shearer
1971-1975: Pat Web
1975-1979: Joe E. Shafer
1979-1994: Joe Brown
1994-2004: Linda Bradford
2004-Present: Lance Taylor